Friday, June 21, 2019

USS John F. Kennedy CV-67 Memories



===========================

USS John F. Kennedy CV-67

===========================


The ship's keel was laid in Newport News Shipbuilding on October 22, 1964.

The final construction was completed in 1965 with conventional propulsion.

The ship was christened May 27, 1967 by Jacqueline Kennedy and her 9-year-old daughter, Caroline.

The ship entered service September 7, 1968.

The USS John F. Kennedy CV-67 left for the Mediterranean in April 1969 and reached Rota, Spain on April 22, 1969 relieving the USS Forrestal.

Kennedy's voyages, were on deployments to the Mediterranean during much of the 1970s.

In the 1970s the Kennedy was upgraded to handle the F-14 Tomcat and the S-3 Viking.

In 1974, the Kennedy won the Marjorie Sterrett Battleship Fund Award for the Atlantic Fleet.

On 20 June 20, 1975 Kennedy was the target of  eight fires caused by arson while at pier 12 in Norfolk, Virginia.

On November 22, 1975, Kennedy collided with the cruiser Belknap, severely damaging the smaller ship. Fires ensued aboard both ships. Seven of the Belknap crew were killed.

On the Kennedy, smoke inhalation claimed the life of Petty Officer 2nd Class Yeoman David A. Chivalette of CVW-1.

On September 14, 1976, the destroyer Bordelon collided with Kennedy. The destroyer was removed from service in 1977.

Earlier the same day an F-14 Tomcat with AIM-54 Phoenix missiles fell off of the flight deck of John F. Kennedy because of a problem with the catapult. Both crew members ejected and landed on the deck injured but alive.

Since the incident was in international waters, A naval race (surface and submarine) followed between the Soviet Navy and US Navy to get back not only the plane (because of its weapon system), but also its missiles.

In 1979 Kennedy underwent her first, yearlong overhaul, which was completed in 1980.

On April 9, 1979 she experienced five fires set by arson while undergoing overhaul at Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Virginia. The fires killed one shipyard worker and injured 34 others.

On June 5, 1979 Kennedy was the target of two more fires at Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Virginia. No one was injured in the incident.

In 1979 she won her second Marjorie Sterrett Battleship Fund Award.

On August 4, 1980 the Kennedy left Norfolk, Virginia and voyaged to the Mediterranean Sea.


===================================
USS John F. Kennedy CV-67 Pictures

Compliments Of Face Book 
===================================


    2019 - USS John F. Kennedy CV-67


     USS John F. Kennedy CV-67

      USS John F. Kennedy CV-67

      USS John F. Kennedy CV-67

      USS John F. Kennedy CV-67

     USS John F. Kennedy CV-67



  Post from Michael L. Kribbs


============================== 
Why I Joined The Navy
============================== 

 - Photography -

     It was Christmas day 1968 when I was given a Kodak Instamatic 44 camera. The camera came in a plastic blister pack and didn’t have any extras. Film, Flash and Batteries were extra.  The film type was 126 cartridge film.  My mother told me later that she paid $5.00 for the camera.  At Amazon it is worth $18.40 + $5.45 shipping.


From that time, I was fascinated with photography.
Learning how to take pictures with the right lighting and composition.  On Christmas day 1970 I was given my first enlarger with enough equipment to develop and print my own pictures.  Spring of 1973 I was able to buy my first 35 mm camera.  We moved to California where I became a photographer in a photography class.

 -  Sunday Funnies  -

In December 1976 there were only 3 people living in the house.  My dad, my mother and me.  On the first Sunday of December, my mother was out of state taking care of my grandmother and my dad went somewhere for the weekend.  I was walking from my bedroom towards the kitchen.  Then I paused for a few moments and realized how quiet the house was.  I looked up started thinking there had to be something more than this.  Then I continued to the kitchen and saw the Los Angeles Times Sunday paper.  I sat down and turned to the Sunday comics section.  When I began to turn the pages, something fell out and on to the floor.  I picked it up and read that it was an advertisement to join the army.  It had square shaped coupons with different jobs you could enlist for.  One of them was a photography rating.  I immediately thought this is it I’m joining the army.
One or two weeks later I went to the army recruiting office and told them I wanted to join the army and the reason.  I handed the photography rating coupon to one of the 2 recruiters that were there.  They both sounded real positive assuring me I could join the army and get the photography rating.  Within the next one or two weeks they sent me to two different places.  The first place was to take a written aptitude test to evaluate my abilities and what field I would be more likely suitable. The department that graded the scores said I made high scores on every section of the testing.  The second place is where they had many of us go through physical examination including blood test.  The results showed I was in excellent condition.  After the testing I went back to the army recruiting office where they had already received the results of my testing and physical exams.  They were impressed and wanted to sign me up right away.  As they were gathering the paper work, I asked them, “What guarantee will I get to get the photography rating?”  Their response wasn’t what I expected.  They told me the photography rating was closed but I could join the army in another rating and transfer somehow to the photography rating if an opening came through.  Then they handed me a list of different ratings that I could be in.  I said I would like to take a few days to think about which rating to join.  They said it was fine with them.  Then I left.
I never went back to that recruiting office.

 -   The Navy  -


In January I thought about joining the navy.  Then I received a phone call from my sister in Texas.  She told me I shouldn’t join the service and about my parents getting a divorce.  And she invited me to be the best man at her wedding.  I was surprised to hear the parents were getting a divorce.  Then I told her I wasn’t sure if I fly to Houston and I would wait to join the navy until after her wedding in February.
February had arrived and I was able to fly to Texas for the wedding.  My grandfather flew from Orlando, Florida to become the best man in the wedding.  After the wedding I went back to California. 

Days later I went to the navy recruiting office in Canoga Park, California.  I walked in with confidence and saw there was only one recruiter.  He gave me a strange look and introduced himself as Jim.  He asked why I wanted to join the navy.  I told him the truth and told him about my experience with the army recruiters.  Then I asked him if he planned on lying to me.  He gave me another strange look and said no.  Then I asked him if I could get the photography rating.  He said that rating was always closed and I would probably never get that rating.  I liked his honesty and told him I wanted to be in the navy.  He began with the paper work and said he could transfer the test scores from the army to his office.  The physical exams would be done again the day I signed my final papers.  
Days later he called to let me know the scores were in.  I went back to the recruiter and went over the results of the test scores.  He said the scores were really good and said I could sign up for any rating I wanted except for cooking.
With his help I eventually signed up for one the accounting choices.  He even arranged for me to have my boot camp training in Orlando, Florida.
Days later he called again on March 10, 1977.  I arrived and he wanted to know if I was ready to join that day.  I said yes.  Then he said I would probably spend the weekend in a hotel in downtown Los Angeles.  I didn’t want to spend the week end Los Angeles and asked Jim if I could sign up for the “delayed entry program” for 4 days.  Jim managed to sign me up for the 4 days and I was able the spend the weekend at home.  Then on Monday, March 14, 1977 Jim picked me up at the house and we went to his office to sign the final papers.  After signing the final papers, I was taken to get a physical examination.  Then went to the hotel in downtown Los Angeles.  After spending the night there, I was flown to Orlando, Florida for boot camp on March 15, 1977.


   May 1977 - Sea World - Orlando, Florida
   Kevin Kemp, Falkenberg, James Ashley Pearce, Michael Lee Kribbs



==============================
Pictures from Gary Henault
==============================

Gary Henault  I was on board with VF-14 circa 1978, I seem to recall the ship was douing a high speed run with the IKE not far alongside. It was during workups prior to the 78/79 med cruise which began on 29 June 78.

Floyd Osborne Gary Henault Dont think so Gary. If ike had been around I would have photographed it too. In fact I would have asked Capt. Jerry O to close up so I could get a photo of both ships. This photo was taken off Cape Hadd.

Gary Henault  Well anyway that's what I recall but that's some 41 years ago now. The photo was turned into a postcard that was 

Michael Kribbs .
Floyd Osborne and Gary Henault
We sold 8x10 pictures in a folder with a chart. This picture was also printed in the stationery folders. I can’t remember the postcards. Can you scan one and post it?

Gary Henault  I'll dig one out, also I might still have the post card before this bow shot one came out. It had an F-14 on the flight deck with the nose cone removed and I might have a VF-14 post card with the Kennedy in it.

Gary Henault - JFK Post card

Gary Henault - The Kennedy in Boston May of 2005 for her last port visit prior to being Decommissioned.

Gary Henault - JFK Post card


Gary Henault - JFK POST CARD.........That's all folks


No comments: